Thursday, August 5, 2010

Everyone Communicates, Few Connect by John C Maxwell

Only one thing stands between you and success. It isn't experience. It isn't talent.

I recently read John Maxwell's book, "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect". Basically this book teaches you the difference between these two concepts and how anyone can learn to make every communication an opportunity for a powerful connection. He goes on to share five principles and five practices to help develop this crucial skill of connection: Finding Common Ground, Keeping Your Communication Simple, Capturing People's Interest, Inspiring People, Staying Authentic in All Your Relationships.

I found this book to be somewhat interesting. I have always been horrible at communication and therefore lacked alot of deep conncetion with people. Like he says, the ability to connect with others is a major determining factor in reaching your full potential. I often struggle with any sort of speaking in front of groups and was hoping this book would help me learn some tips to overcome that fear and be able to connect with my audience. But I feel it is more than that. It's for every situation, every relationship, every audience no matter the size. It's a great tool to learn no matter if you're a stay at home mom or a super professional business person in a high ranking position. I was also very intrigued by the chapter regarding Inspiring People. I think it is important to communicate all your thoughts in a way that will drive people to want to be better, to drive people to be inspired.

I feel that this book was an overall good read. It is very informational and I would recommend it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment